CMS Issues FY 2021 SNF Final Payment Rule
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued the final rule for the skilled nursing facility (SNF) prospective payment system (PPS) fiscal year (FY) 2021 update on Friday July 31, 2020.
We are pleased to report that the final rule includes a net market basket increase of 2.2 percent. The final market basket is one tenth lower than the proposed market basket of 2.3 percent due to updated data reflecting substantial changes in the macroeconomic forecast due to COVID-19. CMS estimates that the net market basket update would increase Medicare SNF payments by approximately $750 million in FY 2021.
CMS issued the final rule with few changes in the Patient-Driven Payment Model (PDPM) payment policy section. Updates were limited to nominal additions/deletions of ICD-10 codes used to map the primary reason for SNF stay diagnosis to appropriate PDPM clinical categories from the lists included in the proposed rule.
The team at AHCA developed a summary (member login required) of the payment updates, the SNF value-based purchasing program, and the IMPACT Act quality reporting additions.
HHS Provider Relief Fund Announcements
On July 31, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced three new approaches to securing funding:
- The Medicaid allocation application has been extended to August 28, 2020.
- For certain Medicare providers, HHS will allow those providers who missed the opportunity to apply for additional funding from the $20 billion portion of the $50 billion Phase 1 Medicare General Distribution. The opportunity to apply will begin on August 10 and will close on August 28.
- Payments for Providers Who Had a Change in Ownership. Also starting the week of August 10, providers who experienced challenges receiving Provider Relief Fund payments due to change in ownership may submit their revenue information, along with documentation proving a change in ownership for consideration for Provider Relief Fund payment. HHS has said it will accept this information through August 28.
NHSN Updates Instructions for Completing the Supplies and Personal Protective Equipment Pathway
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) updated the instructions for completing the NHSN pathway for Supplies and Personal Protective Equipment.
Below is a summary of changes made to the instructions:
- Section dedicated to selecting the correct facility type for NHSN enrollment
- Section on conventional capacity for personal protective equipment (PPE) supply
- Section on utilization of contingency capacity or crisis capacity strategies for PPE supply items
- Do not include KN95 masks in the N95 mask supply item questions
- Contingency and crisis level strategies are not considered as having "any" supply, and therefore, "NO" must be selected for each supply item in which contingency or crisis strategies are being used.
CMS Nursing Facility COVID Call
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services holds COVID informational calls twice monthly for nursing facilities. The next call is scheduled for next week.
Wednesday, August 12th 4:30 - 5:00 PM Eastern
Toll Free Attendee Dial-In: 833-614-0820;
Access Passcode: 7857618
Register for Audio Webcast Link
For questions or concerns please contact Cathy Sunlin at CathySunlin@HCAM.org.
Aug. 3, 2020