Education Committee Public Hearing
Friday, March 6th, 2020
10:00 am, Legislative Office Building Room 1E
300 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT
The Education Committee public hearing will be held on Friday, March 6, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. in Room 1E of the Legislative Office Building.
Ask the Education Committee to support HB 5222, AN ACT EXPANDING ELIGIBILITY IN THE CARE4KIDS PROGRAM FOR HOMELESS FAMILIES, to expand eligibility in the Care for Kids Program to include families experiencing homelessness.
HB 5222 expands eligibility to the CARE4KIDS program to families with a parent or caretaker who meet category 1 (literally homeless) or category 4 (fleeing/attempting to flee domestic violence) of the HUD definition of homeless, and have been seeking employment while living in a homeless shelter for at least two consecutive weeks. The program expansion will be available to them for a period not to exceed twelve weeks.
The purpose is to allow families the childcare support necessary while in shelter to seek and find employment and become fully eligible for CARE4KIDS.
How to Testify
Whether you're new to the legislative process or an experienced advocate, you can make a difference. With your support and shared vision and commitment toward a better future, we can ensure Connecticut is equipped to make homelessness a rare, brief and one-time experience.
Here's what you can do:
- Craft and submit a testimony! A testimony template that provides guidelines for format is attached to this email.
- Email Danielle Hubley (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you intend to submit testimony or testify in person ASAP.
- Once complete, written testimony can be emailed in Word or PDF format on your organizations letterhead and sent to Danielle AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This helps to ensure that your voice is part of the conversation.
- Please submit your testimony for the Education Committee public hearing to Danielle by 9:00 am on Thursday, March 5th, 2020.
- Join us at the Legislative Office Building for the Education Committee public hearing at 10:00 am on Friday, March 6th.